PERIODONTICSPeriodontal disease can be divided into two categories Gingivitis and Periodontitis.
What is periodontal disease?
Periodontal disease can be divided into two categories Gingivitis and Periodontitis.
What is Gingivitis?
Gingivits occurs when the gums become inflamed due to plaque accumulation on the teeth and gums.
What causes gingivitis?
This is mainly due to poor oral hygiene and lack of removing the plaque effectively from the gums, and lack of flossing.
Do I have gingivitis?
If you suffer one or more of the following, you are likely to have gingivitis:
- Your gums are red and swollen
- Your gums bleed during or when you brush
- Your gums bleed during or when you floss
- The gums are tender to touch
- You have bad breath
What treatment does the Dental Spa offer for Gingivitis?
- A dental hygiene session with our in-house Hygienist, Emma Rettig.
- The hygienist will check for the signs of gingivitis followed by cleaning of the gums
- Tooth brush instruction to prevent future gingivitis
- Flossing or some other form of interdental cleaning instruction (such as Tepe brushes), and a suitable mouthwash will be recommended too.
What happens if I leave the gingivitis untreated?
The gingivitis could progress to a periodontitis which is a more destructive periodontal disease.
What is Periodontitis?
Periodontitis is an inflammatory disease which affects the bone and soft tissues which support the teeth.
What causes Periodontitis?
- Poor oral hygiene is the main causing factor
- Poor diet
- Underlying medical conditions such as diabetes
- Poorly shaped fillings with overhangs
- Genetics could also play a part
- Stress could also be a causing factor
Do I have Periodontitis?
If you suffer one or more of the following, you may have periodontitis:
- Redness and swelling
- Bleeding gums during or after brushing or flossing
- Bad breath or a metallic taste in the mouth
- Loose teeth
- Recession – or lengthening of the teeth
- The dentist advises you have deep pockets when probing the gums
What treatment does the Dental Spa offer for Periodontitis?
If the dentist diagnoses you as having periodontal disease, you will be referred to our in-house periodontist Dr Maria Retzepi. The periodontists will do the following:
- In depth assessment of the gum tissues surrounding your teeth using a probe and radiographs
- Determine exactly how much bone you have lost due to the periodontal disease
- Establish a diagnosis and the cause of the periodontal disease.
- Depending on the diagnosis, provide the necessary treatment which will vary from deep cleaning of the tissues surrounding the teeth, to surgical treatment.
What happens if I leave the periodontitis untreated?
You will end up with very loose teeth which will result in you risking losing your teeth.
Covent Garden Dental Spa
68a Neal Street
020 7836 9107
Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 18:30
Saturdays: 10:00 - 14:00